Saturday, September 16, 2006

Not My Mother

NotMyMother

I am drawn to this portrait because the woman in it resembles my mother. I imagine she was interesting to my father for the same reason. It is also curious to note that the face looks somewhat detached from the hair, almost as if it is a mask behind held by the hand. I suppose one could write a whole story about this. I wonder what a Polish artist would do with this?

I have seen many terrific Polish posters done for plays and films that exploit such visual ambiguities to bring out a duality of meaning. Masks and faces are very popular for this reason. This one could represent a man's wishful construct of a woman that wasn't really there. I suspect if this were indeed done more fully as a painting exploring these ideas, that a hint of my father's own face could be peeking out from behind the mask...

5 x 7, graphite on paper.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carlos V. said...

Your father is amazing, you must be proud!

Cheers!

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still very impressed of the simplicity of the drawings. This is great.

2:24 AM  
Blogger aw said...

Thank you Carlos and Rene, it's very satisfying to have people appreciate his work because in the past it has only been us, his family, that did the appreciating.

10:41 AM  
Blogger James Neil Hollingsworth said...

I found your blog through a comment you left on Jeff Cohens blog. I'm so glad I checked your link. These drawings are so simple and, so beautiful. It was pure joy to scroll down the page. I couldn't wait to put a link to your fathers site on my blog. I will be returning to this site often.

4:04 PM  
Blogger aw said...

James,

I'm so glad you found the blog. I checked yours out and love the work. It's really lovely. I'm going to bookmark yours as well! Thanks for your support!

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home